Meta facebook tracking pixel

Q. I have been diagnosed with cancer. I have no insurance or can't get Medicaid. I owe a doctor for a previous procedure. I've applied for disability, and I have no income. I can't get the radiation treatment I need - what should I do?


It sounds like you might not be able to afford coverage at this time so you should reach out to hospitals that might offer charity care. Charity care will help get some kind of treatment but it depends on the hospital what their charity care consists of. Another option is to see if there are hospitals that have their own insurance network. Some hospitals and cancer centers offer their own in-house insurance which is only valid within the facility for services. The last option for receiving services is to inquire about patient assistance programs within the hospital or cancer center. Patient assistance programs can help by providing a grant, payment plans, sliding scale or resources about other grants to help cover the costs.

You may take a look at our online resource guide to see what financial resources are available to you.

One last suggestion regarding the previous bill is reaching out to your network of family and friends. Sometimes family members and friends can assist with some of the funds or can assist in coming up with a fundraising plan.

If you would like more personalized experience, CancerCare offers a Resource Navigation Program free of charge that will provide you with a case manager than can assist in locating local financial and emotional support resources.

Back to Top

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

By using our website, you agree to our recently updated Privacy Policy . Here you can read more about our use of cookies which help us make continuous improvements to our website. Privacy Policy.