Patricia J. Goldsmith
Chief Executive Officer
Patricia J. Goldsmith joined CancerCare in 2014 as Chief Executive Officer, overseeing the vision and direction of the organization. Ms. Goldsmith brings more than 20 years of nonprofit management and strategic planning experience to the role, and has a proven track record of success in hospital and physician academic organizations, as well as nongovernmental health care organizations. She previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Prior to joining NCCN, Ms. Goldsmith was Vice President for Institutional Development, Public Affairs and Marketing at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, the only Florida-based National Cancer Institute-Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Ms. Goldsmith has studied at the Pennsylvania State University, the University of Missouri Bloch School of Business and the Harvard School of Public Health.
Chief Operating Officer
John Rutigliano directs all aspects of CancerCare’s financial and administrative functions including operational policies and procedures; budgeting, auditing and investments; information technology systems and databases; and facilities management. Prior to joining CancerCare in 1999, he was Director of Finance and Administration for GMHC, a not-for-profit organization devoted to HIV/AIDS prevention, care and advocacy. A Certified Public Accountant, Mr. Rutigliano started his career at Deloitte.
Mr. Rutigliano holds a Bachelor of Science, cum laude, in accounting and international business from New York University.
Senior Director of Development and External Advancement
Sue Lee has principal responsibility over CancerCare’s funding from corporations, foundations, and other institutional supporters of the organization’s programs and services. Working closely with senior leadership in all program areas, Ms. Lee oversees fundraising efforts that sustain and expand CancerCare’s key services, including its financial assistance, education and counseling programs. Her responsibilities also include building and maintaining key strategic relationships and partnerships. In addition to her work at CancerCare, Ms. Lee has taught graduate-level courses on grant writing and fundraising at the Hunter College School of Social Work. Prior to joining CancerCare, Ms. Lee held various fundraising positions in arts and cultural institutions in New York City.
Ms. Lee holds a master’s degree in health services management from The New School, and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Ellen Miller Sonet, MBA, JD
Chief Strategy and Alliance Officer
Ellen Miller Sonet leads CancerCare’s strategic branding, alliance development and national policy agenda. Before joining CancerCare, she served for nearly 17 years as Vice President of Marketing at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. While there, Ms. Sonet was an avid patient advocate who was devoted to understanding the complex nature of health care decision-making and the needs of people affected by cancer. Her work showed an unfaltering focus on clear and relevant communication that facilitated making informed health care choices and supported patients and families through their cancer experiences. Prior to her tenure at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Ms. Sonet worked in pharmaceutical marketing. She started her formal marketing career at J. Walter Thompson Advertising.
Ms. Sonet has a bachelor’s degree in political science from Brown University, and an MBA and J.D. from Boston University.
Ann Navarria, PHR
Director of Human Resources
Ann Navarria joined CancerCare in 1995 to serve in fundraising and public relations capacities before assuming her current position as Director of Human Resources. In this role, Ms. Navarria is responsible for providing expertise, judgment and continuity across the organization in relation to human resources policies and procedures and federal, state and local laws and regulations. Her oversight includes management of recruitment and retention, benefits administration, compensation reviews, performance management and budgeting. Ms. Navarria achieved her professional credential in 2003 from the HR Certification Institute, and is an active member of the Society for Human Resource Management and the Human Resources Professional Association of Nonprofit Organizations.
Brian Tomlinson, MPA, BSW
Chief Program and Communications Officer
Brian Tomlinson leads CancerCare’s support services, education and patient assistance programs, as well as public affairs, brand management and communications. Mr. Tomlinson, who began his career as a social worker, is a highly respected national advocate for cancer patients and their families. During his decade-long tenure at the Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF), Mr. Tomlinson was responsible for the development, execution and evaluation of the foundation’s patient education, patient services and professional education programs.
Mr. Tomlinson holds a master’s degree in nonprofit management and public administration from Baruch College School of Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Science in social work from Long Island University.
Sandra Tripodi, MSW, LCSW
Senior Director of Community Engagement
Sandra K. Tripodi brings more than 25 years of experience in clinical social work and strategic relationship-building to her role as CancerCare’s Senior Director of Community Engagement. A licensed social worker, Ms. Tripodi joined CancerCare in 2004, most recently serving as Regional Director of CancerCare’s Connecticut office. In this role, she led efforts to increase CancerCare’s visibility across Connecticut communities to provide residents with full access to CancerCare’s psychosocial support services. In addition to her responsibilities with CancerCare, Ms. Tripodi serves as an adjunct classroom instructor at Norwalk Community College.
Ms. Tripodi holds a master’s degree in social work from Fordham University and a bachelor’s degree from Southern Connecticut State University.
CancerCare Social Service Staff
- Emma Alexander, MSW, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Susan Beno, LCSW Oncology Social Worker
- Winfield Boerckel, MSW, MBA, LCSW-R Director of Social Service, Long Island Office
- Angelique Caba, MSW, LCSW Child and AYA (Adolescent and Young Adult) Program Director
- Kristy Case, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C Online Group Moderator
- Andrew Chesler, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Maria Chi, MSW, LCSW Social Work Internship Program Director
- Kathleen DelMar Miller, MSW, LCSW Oncology Social Worker
- Richard Dickens, MS, LCSW-R Men’s Cancers Program Director
- Anna L. Eckhardt, MSW, OSW-C, CCLS, LCSW Online Support Group Program Coordinator
- Caroline Edlund, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Online Support Group Program Director
- Elizabeth Ezra, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Pancreatic Cancer Program Coordinator
- Diana Forand-Pike, MSW, LCSW-R Online Group Moderator
- Marissa Fors Helpline Manager — Susan G. Komen®
- William Goeren, MSW, LCSW-R Director of Clinical Programs
- Shirley Goldman, MSW, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Claire Grainger, MSW, LCSW Healing Hearts Program Coordinator
- David Horne, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Sarah Kelly, MSW, LCSW Older Adult Program Coordinator
- Jennifer LaPietra, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Eileen Maher-Webel, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C Clinical Supervisor
- Kelly Merklin, MSW, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Glenn Meuche, MSW, LCSW Bereavement Program Coordinator
- Ahuva Morris, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Antoinette Nickelson, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Allison Nilsen, MSW, LCSW Women's Cancers Program Director
- Kathleen Nugent, MSW, LCSW Director of Regional Programs
- Carly O'Brien, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Caregiver Program Coordinator
- Rachel Odo, MSW, LCSW-R Online Group Moderator
- Sonia Pacheco, MSW, LSW Hispanic Outreach Program Coordinator
- Sarah Paul, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Tonya Potts Group Program Operations Manager
- Victoria Puzo, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Vilmarie Rodriguez, MSW, LCSW Director of the Susan G. Komen® Breast Care Helpline
- Essie Roman, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Sandra Sanchez Director of Clinical Operations
- Sara Wicks, MSW, LCSW Online Group Moderator
Principal Communications Staff
- Katie Freeman Media Relations Manager
- Kyle A. Hornyak Director of Communications
Principal Development Staff
- Meaghan Foley Manager of Special Events
- Jhara Navalo Director of Integrated Fundraising and Donor Development
- Leo Pagarigan Grants Manager
- Cristina Ryan Raggio Director of Major Gifts
- Julia Volpin Director of Special Events
Principal Education Staff
- Carolyn Messner, DSW, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW-R Director of Education and Training
- Dawn Zador Education Program Manager
Principal Finance and Administration Staff
- Thomas Ciccotelli Controller
- Tiffany Cooper Database Manager
- Fernando Moraleda Director of Data Strategy and Governance
- Anthony Murphy Facilities Manager
- Hector Perez Director of Information Technology
Principal Financial Assistance Staff
- Jane Levy, MSW, LCSW-R Director of Patient Assistance Programs
- Michele McCourt Director of the CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
- Bennie Speaks-Tanner, Jr. Co-Payment Awards Determination and Billing Manager
- Laura Talavera Co-Payment Call Center Manager
CancerCare’s Board of Trustees contributes knowledge, resources and expertise to the organization.
Mr. Parisi is Managing Partner of Ogilvy CommonHealth Worldwide, the health care division of Ogilvy and Mather. For more than two decades, he has been at the forefront of the global health care marketing arena with an intense focus on oncology.
Andrew C. Pizzo
Senior Vice President Owner & President, Collection XIIX, Ltd.
Margaret R. Diaz-Cruz, LMSW
Vice President Director, Stipendiary Program, Isaac H. Tuttle Fund
Edward C. Lauber
Vice President Chairman, Wines Unlimited
Jan Myers Cook
Secretary Attorney, Law Office of Jan Myers Cook
David J. Keisman
Treasurer Senior Vice President of the Corporate Finance Group, Moody's Investors Service
Michael W. Schechter
Assistant Treasurer Partner, Mentor Partners
- Janet Dewart Bell Communications and Policy Consultant
- Teresa Bitetti Senior Vice President of US Oncology, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Audrey A. Boughton
- Christine Converse Hogan Managing Director, Chief Information Officer, Fortress Investment Group
- H. Frank Doroff Executive VP/GMM, Bloomingdale's
- Timothy M. Dwyer President & CEO, Entitle Direct Group, Inc.
- John N. Evans, CPA Partner, Marks Paneth & Shron LLP
- Paul M. Friedman Chief Operating Officer, Guggenheim Securities LLC
- Louis A. Guzzetti, Jr. Chairman and CEO, Spinnaker Coating, LLC
- Kris Johnson Executive Assistant, Mary Kay, Inc.
- Marcia A. Kean Chairman, Strategic Initiatives of Feinstein Kean Healthcare
- Theresa Natalicchio
- Albert G. Nickel Former Chairman, LLNS
- Marsha J. Palanci President, Cornerstone Communications, LTD.
- William C. Pelster Retired Attorney
- Dorothy Schachne
- Miranda Schiller Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges
- Susan Smirnoff Executive Vice President, Senior Counselor, Weber Shandwick
- Cornelia B. Spring Managing Director and Banker, JPMorgan Private Banking
- Walter M. Steppacher IV Managing Director, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Milton G. Strom Attorney, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- James B. Swire Retired Partner, Arnold & Porter LLP
- Pamela Suthern Wygod Co-Chair, WebMD Foundation