Patricia J. Goldsmith
Chief Executive Officer
Patricia J. Goldsmith joined CancerCare in 2014 as Chief Executive Officer, overseeing the vision and direction of the organization. Ms. Goldsmith brings more than 20 years of nonprofit management and strategic planning experience to the role, and has a proven track record of success in hospital and physician academic organizations, as well as nongovernmental health care organizations. She previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Prior to joining NCCN, Ms. Goldsmith was Vice President for Institutional Development, Public Affairs and Marketing at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, the only Florida-based National Cancer Institute-Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Ms. Goldsmith has studied at the Pennsylvania State University, the University of Missouri Bloch School of Business and the Harvard School of Public Health.
Christine Verini, RPh
Chief Operating Officer
Christine Verini is Chief Operating Officer at CancerCare. In this role, Ms. Verini serves as a key member of CancerCare’s Executive Leadership Team with a primary focus on expanding existing and future mission-based programs and enhancing and building organizational support and collaborations. Ms. Verini is charged with overseeing daily operations and provides leadership to functional areas, including human resources, information technology, facilities, financial assistance and public relations. Develops and executes on organizational strategies and business plans, evaluates and revise processes and procedures. Serves as business partner to CEO.
Ms. Verini most recently served as Vice President of Corporate Communications and Advocacy at Eisai. In this position, she oversaw the company’s internal and external communications functions; the strategic direction for corporate and brand media relations; as well as outreach to and relationships with patient advocacy and professional organizations.
Ms. Verini received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from St. John’s University.
Senior Director of Development and External Advancement
Sue Lee has principal responsibility over CancerCare’s funding from corporations, foundations, and other institutional supporters of the organization’s programs and services. Working closely with senior leadership in all program areas, Ms. Lee oversees fundraising efforts that sustain and expand CancerCare’s key services, including its financial assistance, education and counseling programs. Her responsibilities also include building and maintaining key strategic relationships and partnerships. In addition to her work at CancerCare, Ms. Lee has taught graduate-level courses on grant writing and fundraising at the Hunter College School of Social Work. Prior to joining CancerCare, Ms. Lee held various fundraising positions in arts and cultural institutions in New York City.
Ms. Lee holds a master’s degree in health services management from The New School, and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Senior Director of the CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
Michele McCourt is Senior Director of the CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation. In this role, Ms. McCourt has overall operational responsibility for the development of the foundation. With more than 26 years of experience in patient services, she has overseen the implementation of dozens of national patient assistance and premium/co-payment assistance programs, and participated in the development of numerous patient access programs, notably in the Medicare Replacement Drug Program prior to the launch of Medicare’s Prescription Drug Program in 2006. Before joining CancerCare, Ms. McCourt served as Director of Patient Services for the National Organization of Rare Disorders (NORD).
Ellen Miller Sonet, MBA, JD
Chief Strategy and Policy Officer
Ellen Miller Sonet leads CancerCare’s strategic initiatives and national policy agenda. Before joining CancerCare, she served for nearly 17 years as Vice President of Marketing at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. While there, Ms. Sonet was an avid patient advocate who was devoted to understanding the complex nature of health care decision-making and the needs of people affected by cancer. Her work showed an unfaltering focus on clear and relevant communication that facilitated making informed health care choices and supported patients and families through their cancer experiences. Prior to her tenure at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Ms. Sonet worked in pharmaceutical marketing. She started her formal marketing career at J. Walter Thompson Advertising.
Ms. Sonet has a bachelor’s degree in political science from Brown University, and an MBA and J.D. from Boston University.
Chief Information Officer
Fernando Moraleda is Chief Information Officer at CancerCare, responsible for oversight of the organization’s technology operations as well as driving technology-related business strategy. Mr. Moraleda is charged with executing a full assessment of the organization’s databases and systems in order to unify business processes, transactions, patient services and data collection. Prior to joining CancerCare, Mr. Moraleda served as Lead .Net Application Developer with the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), overseeing the organization’s information technology systems, web applications, and databases. Previous to this role, Mr. Moraleda served as Senior Software Developer for Publicis Touchpoint Solutions, JPMorgan Chase and Nationwide Insurance.
Mr. Moraleda holds a law degree from The University of Castilla-La Mancha in Spain and a Bachelor in Science in Information Technology from DeVry University.
Director of Human Resources
Janet Rodriguez joined CancerCare in 1988. Ms. Rodriguez has over 10 years of progressive professional experience working as the Human Resources Generalist. In this role, Ms. Rodriguez’ responsibilities include employee labor relations, HRIS, recruitment, staffing, benefits administration, compensation reviews, on-boarding, training and development, policy implementation and employment law compliance.
Janet participates in a variety of professional organizations. She is an active member of many prominent HR organizations including the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) both on the national and local level and the Human Resources Professional Association of Nonprofit Organizations (HRPANO).
Ms. Rodriguez holds a Bachelor in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources from Lehman College – City University of New York.
Chief Financial Officer
John Rutigliano directs all aspects of CancerCare’s financial and administrative functions including operational policies and procedures; budgeting, auditing and investments; information technology operations; co-payment assistance financial oversight and facilities management. Prior to joining CancerCare in 1999, he was Director of Finance and Administration for GMHC, a not-for-profit organization devoted to HIV/AIDS prevention, care and advocacy. A Certified Public Accountant, Mr. Rutigliano started his career at Deloitte.
Mr. Rutigliano holds a Bachelor of Science, cum laude, in accounting and international business from New York University.
Brian Tomlinson, MPA, BSW
Chief Program Officer
Brian Tomlinson directs all aspects of CancerCare’s programs and services including, a staff of professional oncology social workers who provide information, resources and psychosocial support to people with cancer and their loves ones. Mr. Tomlinson also oversees CancerCare’s extensive portfolio of educational programs designed to inform and empower the oncology community to make informed health care decisions. In addition, he leads the organization’s national patient assistance programs, which provide direct financial assistance for treatment-related needs.
Mr. Tomlinson, who began his career as a social worker, is a highly respected national advocate for the oncology community. Prior to joining CancerCare in 2013, he served for more than a decade at the Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF) directing the development, execution and evaluation of the foundation’s patient education, patient services and professional education programs.
Mr. Tomlinson holds a master’s degree in nonprofit management and public administration from Baruch College School of Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Science in social work from Long Island University.
CancerCare Social Service Staff
- Emma Alexander, MSW, LCSWOnline Group Moderator
- Winfield Boerckel, MSW, MBA, LCSW-RDirector of Social Service, Long Island Office
- Angelique Caba, MSW, LCSW-RDirector of Social Work Administration
- Christine Calafiore, MSW, LSWOncology Social Worker
- Kristy Case, MSW, LCSW, OSW-COnline Group Moderator
- Lauren Chatalian, MSW, LMSWOncology Social Worker
- Andrew Chesler, MSW, LMSWMen’s Cancers Program Coordinator
- Stacy Chilton, MSW, LCSWWomen’s Cancers Program Coordinator
- Richard Dickens, MS, LCSW-RDirector of Client Advocacy
- Caroline Edlund, MSW, LCSW-ROnline Support Group Program Director
- Lucia Fanjul, MSWOncology Social Worker
- Marissa Fors, LMSWDirector of the Susan G. Komen® Breast Care Helpline
- William Goeren, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW-RDirector of Clinical Programs
- Shirley Goldman, MSW, LCSWOnline Group Moderator
- Mildre GonzalezLatino Outreach Worker
- Claire Grainger, MSW, LCSWHealing Hearts Program Coordinator
- Stephen Homsey, MSW, LMSWOnline Group Moderator
- Sarah Kelly, MSW, LCSWClinical Supervisor
- Marlee Kiel, MSW, LMSWOncology Social Worker
- Jennifer LaPietra, MSW, LMSWOnline Group Moderator
- Maryrose Mongelli, MSW, LMSWOncology Social Worker
- Erin Murphy, MSW, LSWOncology Social Worker
- Allison Nilsen, MSW, LCSWOnline Group Moderator
- Kathleen Nugent, MSW, LCSWDirector of Regional Programs
- Carly O'Brien, MSW, OSW-C, LCSWOnline Group Moderator
- Rachel Odo, MSW, LCSW-ROnline Group Moderator
- Sonia Pacheco, MSW, LSWHispanic Outreach Program Coordinator
- Sarah Paul, MSW, LCSWChild and AYA Program Coordinator
- Tonya PottsGroup Program Operations Manager
- Victoria Puzo, MSW, LCSWOnline Support Group Program Coordinator
- Essie Roman, MSW, LMSWWomen’s Clinic Program Coordinator
- Sandra SanchezDirector of Clinical Operations
Principal Communications Staff
- Kristine FuangtharnthipOutreach Manager
- Claire HeyisonMedia and Communications Manager
- Sarah QuinlanSenior Manager of Communications
Principal Development Staff
- Randa AdibDirector of Corporate Development
- Eunice E. HongAssistant Director of Individual Giving
- Erica LebensbergDirector of Special Events and Direct Response
- Steven MarkDirector of Philanthropy
- Sara YashpanManager of Special Events
Principal Education Staff
- Carolyn Messner, DSW, OSW-C, FAPOS, LCSW-RDirector of Education and Training
- Dawn ZadorSenior Education Program Manager
Principal Finance and Administration Staff
- Thomas E. CiccotelliController
- Tiffany CooperDatabase Manager
- Anthony MurphyDirector of Facilities and Mail Operations
- Hector PerezDirector of Information Technology
Principal Financial Assistance Staff
- Vilmarie Rodriguez, MSW, LCSWDirector of Patient Assistance Programs
- Bennie Speaks-Tanner, Jr.Co-Payment Awards Determination and Billing Manager
- Laura TalaveraCo-Payment Call Center Manager
CancerCare’s Board of Trustees contributes knowledge, resources and expertise to the organization.
Mr. Parisi is Chief Executive Officer at Guidemark Health. For more than two decades, he has been at the forefront of the global health care marketing arena with an intense focus on oncology.
- Susan Smirnoff
Executive Vice PresidentHealthcare Communications & Public Relations Consultant
- Andrew C. Pizzo
SecretaryOwner & President, Collection XIIX, Ltd.
- Timothy M. Dwyer
Acting TreasurerRetired, President & CEO, Entitle Direct Group, Inc.
- Janet Dewart BellCommunications and Policy Consultant
- Christine Converse HoganManaging Director, Chief Information Officer, Fortress Investment Group
- Margaret R. Diaz-Cruz, LMSWRetired, Director, Stipendiary Program, Isaac H. Tuttle Fund
- H. Frank DoroffExecutive VP/GMM, Bloomingdale's
- John N. Evans, CPAPartner, Marks Paneth & Shron LLP
- Flavio FigueiredoHead of Americas Corporate Sales and Solutions, Citi Markets
- Renata Figueiredo
- Paul M. FriedmanRetired from Guggenheim Securities LLC
- Patti JewellSenior Director, US Oncology Public Affairs, Pfizer
- Kris JohnsonExecutive Assistant, Mary Kay, Inc.
- Edward C. LauberChairman, Wines Unlimited
- Loretta MosemanRetired, Citi Deputy Treasurer/CBNA Treasurer, Citibank NA Treasury
- Marsha J. Palanci
- William C. PelsterRetired Attorney
- Dorothy Schachne
- Cornelia B. Spring Managing Director and Banker, JPMorgan Private Banking
- Walter M. Steppacher IVManaging Director, JP Morgan Chase & Co.