Oncology social workers are trained professionals who provide emotional support to anyone affected by cancer.
CancerCare provides free individual and group support to anyone affected by cancer. CancerCare’s cancer-focused emotional support is available in English and Spanish and centers on the emotional and practical challenges that arise from cancer. Oncology social workers provide short-term, strengths-based emotional support and may also assist in locating practical assistance, including community resources. CancerCare oncology social workers are available in-person (at our local offices), online or on the telephone.
Who can receive counseling?
- Newly bereaved (in-person at our local offices)
- Children as young as five (in-person at our local offices)
CancerCare oncology social workers can:
- Provide cancer-focused support
- Help reduce feelings of anxiety and distress
- Help increase feelings of hope and empowerment
- Assist you in learning new ways of coping
- Help you improve communication with your medical team and loved ones
- Provide you with practical information about treatment
- Provide you with resources in your community
How do I start?
- Call us at 800-813-HOPE (4673) to speak with an oncology social worker or email email@example.com
- To ensure that our short-term emotional support will be beneficial, an oncology social worker will conduct an in-depth assessment in the initial call, prior to the start of counseling
Short-term individual support is available:
- nationally over the telephone (including Puerto Rico and U.S. territories)
- in-person at our local offices in New York City, New Jersey and Long Island
Short-term group support is available:
- nationally over the telephone and online (including Puerto Rico and U.S. territories)
- in-person at our local offices in New York City, New Jersey and Long Island. View all support groups »»
Hopeline Hours (800-813-HOPE)
Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST
Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. EST
Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST