Meta facebook tracking pixel

Q. I was diagnosed with cancer at 14 and after two years of treatment, went into remission but was diagnosed with depression soon after. Now I am 24, and I've struggled with depression for ten years and my cancer has relapsed. I am attempting to go to school, but between the fatigue from the cancer and depression, I would barely be able to attend college. Are there any financial aid programs?


Juggling cancer treatment and its side effects with school and work would be overwhelming for anyone. Adding depression into that mix makes it all seem nearly impossible. In this situation, not only do you need to treat your cancer, but your mental health as well. HelpPro is a great website that can help you find a therapist in your area that accepts your insurance, and CancerCare provides free short-term counseling as well.

There are a number of organizations you can turn to for financial assistance, such as The Samfund, which provides grants to young adults that can help with medical bills, living expenses, tuition and student loans, etc. There are many other organizations that can help as well, but they are specific to the type of cancer or your location. You may view additional scholarship resources on our website.

At CancerCare, we have a Hopeline staffed by oncology social workers who can provide information about resources and referrals, CancerCare’s financial assistance grants and emotional support. You can reach us at 800-813-4673, Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.

You can also see a list of organizations we commonly refer to through our publication called A Helping Hand.: The Resource Guide for People With Cancer.

Back to Top

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

By using our website, you agree to our recently updated Privacy Policy . Here you can read more about our use of cookies which help us make continuous improvements to our website. Privacy Policy.