Learn more about how CancerCare Case Management can help you address barriers to care.
Find resources and support to manage your financial concerns. Limited assistance from CancerCare® is available to eligible families for cancer-related costs.
Connect with others in our free support groups led by oncology social workers.
- Brain Cancer Patient Support Group (New York, Video)
If you live in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, learn about and view the full calendar of our free community programs.
Connect Education Workshops
Listen in by telephone or online as leading experts in oncology provide up-to-date information about cancer-related issues in one-hour workshops. Podcasts are also available.
- Managing the Cost of Living with Cancer, Sep 23, 2020
- Preventing and Managing Infections in Adults Living with Cancer, Oct 26, 2020
- Caregiving for Your Loved One Living with Cancer, Nov 3, 2020
- How Diagnostic Technologies and Biomarkers Improve Treatment Decisions for People Living with Cancer, Dec 7, 2020
- Highlights from the 2020 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting: Unite and Conquer: Accelerating Progress Together, Jul 30, 2020
- Update on Glioblastoma in Adults, Apr 23, 2020
- Highlights from the 2019 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting: Caring for Every Patient, Learning from Every Patient, Aug 22, 2019
- Update on Glioblastoma in Adults, Feb 21, 2019
- Highlights from the 2018 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, Aug 23, 2018
- Update on Glioblastoma, Jan 11, 2018
- Veterans Living with Cancer, Jun 26, 2020
- Treatment Adherence: Taking Your Pills on Schedule – Why It Is So Important, Jun 24, 2020
- Understanding Diagnostic Technologies and Biomarkers, Jun 22, 2020
- What are Biosimilars? Understanding Their Role in Cancer Treatment: Current and Future Perspectives, Jun 18, 2020
- Current Perspectives in Cancer Survivorship, Jun 16, 2020
- The New Coronavirus (COVID-19): Emerging Guidelines for People Living & Coping with Cancer, Jun 15, 2020
- Managing the Side Effects of Immunotherapy, May 6, 2020
- Understanding the Role of Immunotherapy in Treating Cancer, Apr 29, 2020
- For Caregivers: Care Coordination for Your Loved One Living with Cancer and Other Health Problems, Apr 22, 2020
- The New Coronavirus (COVID-19): Updated Guidelines for People Coping with Cancer, Apr 20, 2020
- Caregiving for Your Loved One with Cancer, Apr 14, 2020
- Participating in Decisions about Your Care, Apr 8, 2020
- The New Coronavirus (COVID-19): Guidelines for People Coping with Cancer, Mar 30, 2020
- Cancer and The Workplace: Understanding Your Legal Protections, Mar 25, 2020
- New Perspectives in Clinical Trial Research, Mar 20, 2020
- Understanding the Costs of Care and Your Health Care Coverage, Mar 18, 2020
- Trends in Oncology and Treatment Planning: What You Need to Know, Mar 4, 2020
- Managing Eye and Vision Changes Related to Cancer Treatments, Mar 2, 2020
- Taking Your Treatment on Schedule: Its Importance in Managing Cancer, Feb 26, 2020
- Care for Your Bones During & After Cancer Treatment: Tips to Improve Bone Health, Nov 18, 2019
- Preventing Chemotherapy Induced Nausea and Vomiting, Oct 28, 2019
- Participating in Decisions about Your Care, Jun 19, 2019
- New Trends in Cancer Survivorship, Jun 18, 2019
- For Caregivers: Care Coordination for Your Loved One Living with Cancer and Other Health Problems, Jun 17, 2019
- Understanding the Costs of Care and Your Health Care Coverage, Jun 12, 2019
- Update on Clinical Trials: How They Work, Jun 10, 2019
- Cancer and the Workplace: Understanding Your Legal Protections, May 29, 2019
- Trends in Oncology and Treatment Planning: What You Need to Know, May 22, 2019
- Managing the Side Effects of Immunotherapy, May 15, 2019
- Understanding the Role of Immunotherapy in Treating Cancer, Apr 17, 2019
- Managing Eye and Vision Changes Related to Cancer Treatments, Apr 15, 2019
- Joys and Challenges of Pets in Your Home When You Have Cancer, Apr 8, 2019
- Taking Your Pills on Schedule: Its Importance in Treating Cancer, Apr 3, 2019
- Caregiving for Your Loved One with Cancer, Mar 19, 2019
- Life with Graft vs. Host Disease (GVHD) Post Allogeneic Stem Cell or Bone Marrow Transplantation: New Treatment Approaches, Dec 13, 2018
- Current Perspectives on Cancer Survivorship, Dec 11, 2018
- Genomics and the Future of Cancer Treatment, Oct 15, 2018
- Genomics and Genetics: What is the Difference?, Jun 25, 2018
- Update on CAR-T Cell Therapy, Jun 25, 2018
- Treatment-Related Rash and Dry Skin, Jun 20, 2018
- Current Perspectives on Cancer Survivorship, Jun 19, 2018
- What Are Biosimilars? Understanding Their Role in Cancer Treatments: Current and Future Perspectives, May 24, 2018
- Managing the Side Effects of Immunotherapy, May 2, 2018
- Understanding the Role of Immunotherapy in Treating Cancer, Apr 25, 2018
- Taking Your Pills on Schedule: Why It Is So Important in Managing Cancer, Apr 18, 2018
- Preventing Chemotherapy Induced Nausea and Vomiting, Apr 16, 2018
- Managing Eye and Vision Changes Related to Cancer Treatments, Feb 26, 2018
- Mind Body Techniques to Cope with the Stresses of Cancer, Nov 15, 2017
- What Are Generic Drugs: Understanding Their Role in Cancer Treatment, Jun 29, 2017
- For Caregivers: Care Coordination for Your Loved One Living with Cancer and Other Health Problems, Jun 14, 2017
- Taking Your Pills on Schedule: The Importance of Adherence in the Treatment of Cancer, Jun 14, 2017
- Participating in Decisions about Your Care, Jun 7, 2017
- Cancer and the Workplace: Understanding Your Legal Protections, May 24, 2017
- Preventing Chemotherapy Induced Nausea and Vomiting, May 22, 2017
- Trends in Oncology and Treatment Planning: What You Need to Know, May 3, 2017
- Managing the Side Effects of Immunotherapy, Mar 15, 2017
- Living with Cancer Throughout The Cancer Journey, Mar 10, 2017
- Understanding the Role of Immunotherapy in Treating Cancer, Mar 8, 2017
- Managing Eye and Vision Changes Related to Cancer Treatments, Mar 6, 2017
- What Are Biosimilars? Understanding Their Role in Cancer Treatment: Current and Future Perspectives, Feb 1, 2017
- Managing Sensory Disruptions During Cancer Treatments, Dec 5, 2016
- For Health Care Professionals: Care Coordination for Older Men Living with Cancer, Aug 23, 2016
- Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment, Jun 29, 2016
- Managing the Costs of Living with Cancer, Jun 8, 2016
- Advances in Treating Chemotherapy Induced Nausea and Vomiting, May 23, 2016
- Taking Your Pills on Schedule – Why It Is So Important in Managing Cancer, Feb 10, 2016
- Nutrition and Healthy Eating Tips During and After Cancer Treatments, Feb 1, 2016
- Cancer and the Workplace: Knowing Your Legal Rights, Dec 10, 2015
- What’s New in Managing Blood Clots During Cancer Treatments, Oct 30, 2015
- For Health Care Professionals: Care Coordination for Older Men Living with Cancer, Jul 14, 2015
- Understanding Diagnostic Technologies and Biomarkers, May 6, 2015
- Healthy Eating and Managing Weight Changes During Cancer Treatment, Apr 13, 2015
- Managing the Costs of Living with Cancer, Feb 4, 2015
- For Caregivers: Practical Tips to Cope, Nov 14, 2014
- Highlights of the Affordable Care Act, Nov 11, 2014
- Managing Cancer Pain: What You Need to Know, Mar 21, 2014
- Understanding Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia: Low White Blood Cell Counts, Feb 21, 2014
- Cancer and the Workplace, Feb 6, 2014
- Advances in Treating Chemotherapy-Related Nausea and Vomiting, Jan 24, 2014
- Young Adult Survivorship: Fertility, Sexuality and Intimacy, Jun 28, 2013
- Understanding the Affordable Care Act (ACA) for People Living with Cancer, Dec 12, 2012
- Helping Cancer Patients and Their Families Cope with the Stresses of Caregiving, Dec 6, 2012
- Managing Post-Treatment Neuropathy, Jul 17, 2012
- Stress Management for Caregivers: Practical Tips to Cope, Jun 29, 2012
- Changing Roles and Responsibilities for Caregivers, Jun 19, 2012
- Recapturing Joy and Finding Meaning, May 15, 2012
- Planning Your Comfort and Care at End of Life, May 10, 2012
- Using Mind/Body Techniques to Cope with the Stress of Survivorship, Apr 24, 2012
- Nutrition, Physical Activity and You: A Guide for People Living With Cancer, Nov 15, 2011
- Understanding the Important Role of Adherence in the Medical Management of Cancer, Sep 21, 2011
- Fear of Recurrence and Late Effects: Living with Uncertainty, Jul 12, 2011
- Money Matters: Finding Resources to Manage Cancer Treatment Costs, Jun 22, 2011
- Stress Management for Caregivers: Taking Care of Yourself Physically and Emotionally, Jun 14, 2011
- The Challenges of Coping with Cancer and Other Health Problems, Jun 1, 2011
- Weight Changes After Cancer Treatment: Why is it Happening and What Can I Do About It, May 10, 2011
- Mouth Pain and Discomfort: All You Need to Know About Mouth Sores and Oral Mucositis, Apr 27, 2011
- Helping Children and Teens Understand When a Parent or Loved One Has Cancer, Apr 20, 2011
- Chemobrain: The Impact of Cancer Treatments on Memory, Thinking and Attention, Apr 12, 2011
- Survivors Too: Communicating With and Among Family, Friends and Loved Ones, Jul 13, 2010
- Survivorship and Workplace Transitions, Jun 22, 2010
- Communicating with Your Health Care Team After Treatment: Making the Most of Your Visit, May 18, 2010
- Trouble Sleeping? Sleep Better to Feel Better: Tips You Can Use, Apr 13, 2010
- Helping Teachers and Educators Support Siblings of Children with Cancer, Oct 8, 2009
- Understanding Peripheral Neuropathy, Jul 16, 2009
- Survivors Too: Family, Friends and Loved Ones - Managing the Fatigue of Caregiving, Jun 23, 2009
- The Importance of Nutrition and Physical Activity, May 19, 2009
- For Parents, Caregivers and Professionals: Helping Brothers and Sisters of Children Living with Cancer, May 14, 2009
- Dental Health During Cancer Treatments, Apr 24, 2009
- Managing the Stress of Survivorship, Apr 14, 2009
- Medical Emergencies in Cancer Treatment, Apr 1, 2009
- Balancing Cancer and Careers: Living and Working with Cancer, Mar 12, 2009
- For Caregivers: Coping with Holidays, Special Occasions and Birthdays, Throughout the Year, Dec 12, 2008
- Survivors Too: Family, Friends and Loved Ones, Jun 24, 2008
- Rediscovering Intimacy in Your Relationships Following Treatment, May 13, 2008
- The Importance of Communicating with Your Doctor About Follow-Up Care, Apr 22, 2008
- Finding Hope and Meaning After Treatment, Jun 19, 2007
- My Treatment is Over: Why Do I Feel So Alone and Sad?, May 15, 2007
- Neuropathy and Joint Aches: New Post Treatment Challenges, Apr 17, 2007
- Managing Your Costs of Recovery, Jun 20, 2006
- Balancing Your Needs and Your Role as a Caregiver, Jun 13, 2006
- Is It My Cancer or Am I Getting Older?, May 23, 2006
- The Bereaved Caregiver in the Workplace, May 10, 2006
- Stress Management Tips for Survivors, Apr 25, 2006
- The Challenge of Creating Supportive Work Environments for Employees with Cancer and Their Caregivers, Apr 5, 2006
Read or order our free Connect booklets and fact sheets offering easy-to-read information about the latest cancer treatments, managing side effects and coping with cancer.
- Treatment Update: GlioblastomaNew!
- After a Brain Cancer Diagnosis: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Coping With Brain Cancer
- Your Guide to the Latest Cancer Research and Treatments: Highlights From the 2018 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Your Guide to the Latest Cancer Research and Treatments: Highlights From the 2019 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Coping With Cancer: Tools to Help You Live
- Caregiving for Your Loved One With Cancer
- Talking to Children When a Loved One Has Cancer
- Communicating With Your Health Care Team
- Understanding and Managing Chemotherapy Side Effects
- Sources of Financial Assistance
- Finding Resources in Your Community
- If You've Just Been Diagnosed
- “What Can I Say to a Newly Diagnosed Loved One?”
- Caring Advice for Caregivers: How Can You Help Yourself?
Every month, featured experts answer your questions about coping with cancer. View all questions and answers.
A family member has been diagnosed with a brain tumor and I want to make sure he is going to get the best care possible. How can I find out about the best places that treat brain tumors?A.
There are many factors to consider when choosing a treatment center, and it’s important to weigh all of your options before deciding which treatment center is right for you or your loved one. While many treatment centers provide excellent care for patients diagnosed with cancer, you will want a center that has experience treating brain tumors. Important questions to ask include:
- How many brain tumor patients does the treatment center diagnose and treat per year?
- How many tumors has your doctor treated and what are your doctor’s credentials?
- Does the treatment center have a specialized neurology department including neuro-oncologists, neurosurgeons, rehabilitation therapists, as well as other specialists?
- Does the treatment center have a brain tumor board (a board of specialists who regularly meet to discuss patients, their treatment and their overall health)?
- Does the treatment center have the appropriate technology to provide optimal care including imaging equipment?
- Does the treatment center participate in clinical trials? Clinical trials are research studies that provide new treatments to patients through medications or other therapies. These studies answer important medical questions related to cancer treatments and also may provide important health benefits to patients participating in the trial.
Rehabilitation services are also an important part of treatment for patients diagnosed with brain tumors. Patients may experience temporary or permanent changes in speech, memory or motor skills as a result of the tumor. Rehabilitation therapy can help tremendously with these side effects. Rehabilitation specialists include speech therapists, physical therapists, and occupational therapists. Questions to ask the treatment center include:
- What rehabilitation services are provided?
- If services are not provided at the treatment center, what referrals does the center provide?
Comprehensive care is an important factor when choosing a treatment center, as a brain tumor diagnosis can affect many aspects of a patient’s life. The idea behind comprehensive care is that all of the patient’s needs are treated, which can include financial, medical, physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. You may want to ask:
- Aside from medical treatment, what other comprehensive services does the treatment center provide?
- Does the treatment center provide support services to both patients and caregivers including counseling, support groups and spiritual support?
- Are workshops, literature related to care or other learning possibilities available at the treatment center?
- Is financial support or referrals for financial assistance available?
For further information on finding a treatment center please contact the following organizations:
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) offers a database of NCI-designated cancer treatment centers organized by state.
- National Brain Tumor Society maintains a comprehensive website dedicated to helping patients and families diagnosed with brain tumors.
And finally, these CancerCare publications might be helpful:
Magnolia Meals at Home
A meal delivery program that helps patients by providing nourishing meals to households affected by cancer. Is currently available in and around Woodcliff Lake, NJ and Andover, MA, Raleigh-Durham, NC and New Haven, CT (as well areas in New York, New Hampshire and Boston, MA). For more information please visit magnoliamealsathome.com or contact Kathy Nugent, LCSW at 800-813-4673, ext. 6809.
Browse all CancerCare services
American Brain Tumor Association
Children's Brain Tumor Foundation
EndBrain Cancer Initiative/Chris Elliott Fund
Glenn Garcelon Foundation
National Brain Tumor Society
Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation
Smiles for Sophie Forever