Patricia J. Goldsmith
Chief Executive Officer
Patricia J. Goldsmith joined CancerCare in 2014 as Chief Executive Officer, overseeing the vision and direction of the organization. Ms. Goldsmith brings more than 20 years of nonprofit management and strategic planning experience to the role, and has a proven track record of success in hospital and physician academic organizations, as well as nongovernmental health care organizations. She previously served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Prior to joining NCCN, Ms. Goldsmith was Vice President for Institutional Development, Public Affairs and Marketing at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, the only Florida-based National Cancer Institute-Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Ms. Goldsmith has studied at the Pennsylvania State University, the University of Missouri Bloch School of Business and the Harvard School of Public Health.
Chief Development Officer
Jan McDavitt is responsible for developing and managing CancerCare’s overall philanthropic program. Prior to joining CancerCare, she held senior executive fundraising positions with several national non profit organizations, including Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and Girl Scouts of the USA. As the Vice President of Development for Liberty Science Center, she successfully led a $100 million expansion campaign that more than doubled the size of the museum. Ms. McDavitt began her career with the American Heart Association, where she managed a vast array of grass roots, volunteer-led fund raising efforts. Over the course of her career in advancement she has orchestrated large scale, strategic corporate partnerships, signature special event initiatives, membership and annual campaigns, as well as major and planned giving program development.
Ellen Miller Sonet, MBA, JD
Chief Strategy and Alliance Officer
Ellen Miller Sonet leads CancerCare’s strategic branding, alliance development and national policy agenda. Before joining CancerCare, she served for nearly 17 years as Vice President of Marketing at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. While there, Ms. Sonet was an avid patient advocate who was devoted to understanding the complex nature of health care decision-making and the needs of people affected by cancer. Her work showed an unfaltering focus on clear and relevant communication that facilitated making informed health care choices and supported patients and families through their cancer experiences. Prior to her tenure at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Ms. Sonet worked in pharmaceutical marketing. She started her formal marketing career at J. Walter Thompson Advertising.
Ms. Sonet has a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Brown University, and an MBA and J.D. from Boston University.
Ann Navarria, PHR
Director of Human Resources
Ann Navarria joined CancerCare in 1995 to serve in fundraising and public relations capacities before assuming her current position as Director of Human Resources. In this role, Ms. Navarria is responsible for providing expertise, judgment and continuity across the organization in relation to human resources policies and procedures and federal, state and local laws and regulations. Her oversight includes management of recruitment and retention, benefits administration, compensation reviews, performance management and budgeting. Ms. Navarria achieved her professional credential in 2003 from the HR Certification Institute, and is an active member of the Society for Human Resource Management and the Human Resources Professional Association of Nonprofit Organizations.
Chief Operating Officer
John Rutigliano directs all aspects of CancerCare’s financial and administrative functions including operational policies and procedures; budgeting, auditing and investments; information technology systems and databases; and facilities management. Prior to joining CancerCare in 1999, he was Director of Finance and Administration for GMHC, a not-for-profit organization devoted to HIV/AIDS prevention, care and advocacy. A Certified Public Accountant, Mr. Rutigliano started his career at Deloitte.
Mr. Rutigliano holds a bachelor of science, cum laude, in accounting and international business from New York University.
Brian Tomlinson, MPA, BSW
Chief Program and Communications Officer
Brian Tomlinson leads CancerCare’s support services, education and patient assistance programs, as well as public affairs, brand management and communications. Mr. Tomlinson, who began his career as a social worker, is a highly respected national advocate for cancer patients and their families. During his decade-long tenure at the Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF), Mr. Tomlinson was responsible for the development, execution and evaluation of the foundation’s patient education, patient services and professional education programs.
Mr. Tomlinson holds a masters degree in nonprofit management and public administration from Baruch College School of Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Science in social work from Long Island University.
CancerCare Social Service Staff
- Emma Alexander, MSW, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Winfield Boerckel, MSW, MBA, LCSW-R Director of Social Service, Long Island Office
- Angelique Caba, MSW, LCSW Child and AYA Program Director
- Andrew Chesler, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Maria Chi, MSW, LCSW Clinical Supervisor
- Richard Dickens, MS, LCSW-R Clinical Supervisor
- Anna L. Eckhardt, MSW, OSW-C, CCLS, CIMI, LCSW Online Support Group Program Coordinator
- Caroline Edlund, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Online Support Group Program Director
- Elizabeth Ezra, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Pancreatic Cancer Program Coordinator
- Diana Forand-Pike, MSW, LCSW-R Online Group Moderator
- William Goeren, MSW, LCSW-R Director of Clinical Programs
- Shirley Goldman, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Claire Grainger, MSW, LCSW Healing Hearts Program Coordinator
- Sarah Kelly, MSW, LCSW Older Adult Program Coordinator
- Kelly Merklin, MSW, LMSW Online Group Moderator
- Carly Mesavitz, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW Caregiver Program Coordinator
- Glenn Meuche, MSW, LCSW Bereavement Program Coordinator
- Ahuva Morris, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Antoinette Nickelson, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Allison Nilsen, MSW, LMSW Women's Cancers Program Coordinator
- Kathleen Nugent, MSW, LCSW Director of Social Service, New Jersey Office
- Rachel Odo, MSW, LCSW-R Online Group Moderator
- Sonia Pacheco, MSW, LSW Hispanic Outreach Program Coordinator
- Sarah Paul, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Victoria Puzo, MSW, LMSW Oncology Social Worker
- Vilmarie Rodriguez, MSW, LCSW Director of the Susan G. Komen Breast Care Helpline
- Essie Roman, MSW, LMSW New York City Resources Program Coordinator
- Sandra Tripodi, MSW, LCSW Regional Director, Connecticut Office
- Eileen Webel, MSW, LCSW Clinical Supervisor
- Sara Wicks, MSW, LCSW Online Group Moderator
Principal Development Staff
- Emily Bratten Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Sue Lee Senior Director of Development and Strategic External Relations
- Jhara Navalo Director of Integrated Fundraising and Donor Development
- Cristina Ryan Raggio Director of Major Gifts
Principal Education Staff
- Carolyn Messner, DSW, MSW, OSW-C, LCSW-R Director of Education and Training
Principal Finance and Administration Staff
- Thomas Ciccotelli Controller
- Hector Perez Director of Information Technology
- Francis Scretchings Facilities Manager
Principal Financial Assistance Staff
- Jane Levy, MSW, LCSW-R Director of Patient Assistance Programs
- Michele McCourt Director of the CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
CancerCare’s Board of Trustees contributes knowledge, resources and expertise to the organization.
Mr. Parisi is Managing Partner of Ogilvy CommonHealth Worldwide, the health care division of Ogilvy and Mather. For more than two decades, he has been at the forefront of the global health care marketing arena with an intense focus on oncology.
Andrew C. Pizzo
Senior Vice President Owner & President, Collection XIIX, Ltd.
Margaret R. Diaz-Cruz, LMSW
Vice President Director, Stipendiary Program, Isaac H. Tuttle Fund
Edward C. Lauber
Vice President Chairman, Wines Unlimited
Maggy M. Siegel
Vice President Executive Director, Asphalt Green
Jan Myers Cook
Secretary Attorney, Law Office of Jan Myers Cook
David J. Keisman
Treasurer Senior Vice President of the Corporate Finance Group, Moody's Investors Service
Michael W. Schechter
Assistant Treasurer Partner, Mentor Partners
- Janet Dewart Bell Communications and Policy Consultant
- Audrey A. Boughton
- Christine Converse Hogan Managing Director, Chief Information Officer, Fortress Investment Group
- H. Frank Doroff Executive VP/GMM, Bloomingdale's
- Timothy M. Dwyer President & CEO, Entitle Direct Group, Inc.
- John N. Evans, CPA Partner, Marks Paneth & Shron LLP
- Paul M. Friedman Chief Operating Officer, Guggenheim Securities LLC
- Louis A. Guzzetti, Jr. Chairman and CEO, Spinnaker Coating, LLC
- Kris Johnson Executive Assistant, Mary Kay, Inc.
- Theresa Natalicchio
- Albert G. Nickel Former Chairman, LLNS
- Marsha J. Palanci President, Cornerstone Communications, LTD.
- William C. Pelster Retired Attorney
- Dorothy Schachne
- Miranda Schiller Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges
- Susan Smirnoff Executive Vice President, Senior Counselor, Weber Shandwick
- Cornelia B. Spring Managing Director and Banker, JPMorgan Private Banking
- Walter M. Steppacher IV Managing Director, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Milton G. Strom Attorney, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- James B. Swire Retired Partner, Arnold & Porter LLP
- Pamela Suthern Wygod Co-Chair, WebMD Foundation